Tuesday, March 30

How to write (and get other things done)

One of the most common questions people ask me is, "How do you find the time to write?"

I don't "find" time. I make it, or take it, however you want to look at it. I have a day job, a relationship, friends, and of course, all that regular boring stuff that needs my attention, too, like eating, sleeping, and doing laundry.

So life's busy. Anyone who chooses to do something creative has to be somewhat selfish with their time.

Here are some things I've found helpful when it comes to making time to write:

1. Decide it's important to you. If you're not fully excited about the project you're trying to get started on, then you're less likely to make time for it. Some people like the idea of being a writer, musician, or artist more than they like the idea of actually writing, making music, or creating in some kind of capacity.
But if you don't want to make something for the sake of it, then it will be really hard to find motivation to see it through.

2. Just say no. This one is hard for me, because I like to go out and there's always so much going on. But if you go out every night of the week, and you work all day (like me), then you're never going to have time for your own projects.
I've made the mistake of saying yes too many times. Be protective of your time. Stay in one night and go out the next, and then alternate. Or schedule your week ahead of time by deciding that, say, you'll stay in Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights, but you'll go out the rest of the week.

3. Stick to a schedule that works for you. If I have time off work, or I'm working on a weekend, I prefer to write earlier in the day. I get up between 7am and 8am, get dressed, and start writing right away.
I have a rule that I need to get 500 words down on the page before I'm allowed to go out and grab a coffee. After that, I have to write at least another 1,500 words before I'm allowed to break for lunch or run an errand.
With a minimum goal of writing 2,000 words a day, this means I'm usually wrapped up by around 1pm or 2pm, and then I can decide how I want to spend the rest of the day. If the writing's going well, I can keep at it for a few more hours. If I have other things I need or want to do, I have the rest of the afternoon to myself.

4. Just make it happen. The scariest thing about starting a project is that it's a big time investment. You're relying totally on your own creativity without any idea as to how it will all turn out.
Will it suck? Will it get published? Rejected? Praised? You won't know until it's done.
But try not to worry about it. Or, if you have to worry about it (and it's totally normal to) then don't let the worrying get in the way. Just make it happen. Even if it doesn't work out the way you want it to, you'll know what it takes to see a project through and you'll learn from your mistakes.
And all of that will make future projects better.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey liz dreambook,

i found this really helpful. please leave it on here in case i need another reminder.

love m.s.

April 4, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home